- Get a website - no matter if you are published or not - you need a website to promote your efforts as a writer. Get your name out there in the public arena and get that web presence which is vital to your success in the market place. A Facebook or Myspace profile does not count as a professional website and should not take the place of one. Although, you may want to create a separate profile for this purpose. Purchasing your own domain name in your author name is inexpensive and a wise purchase for a professionally developed website. Be aware that most agents and editors will look at your social network profiles for continuity and appropriateness in your promotional efforts.
- Pitch your book or idea to the general public and put this on your website. Write a blurb about your book. Make it compelling and enticing, so the reader will want to know more about it.
- Develop a Bio - not a biography. This will give publishers and agents an idea of what you are all about. Make it about you as a writer only. You don't need to include everyone in your family or write about every incident in your life up to this point. Just the simple facts, where you live and who you live with, where you went to school, what degrees you hold and other publishing credits. Also, include any professional organizations you are involved with at the time. Be sure to update your bio as needed.
- Find a Photo - online there are public domain photos that you can download for free. Make sure they are royalty free as well or use a picture you took yourself. Find a photo that will help promote your book and post it along with your books blurb or pitch on your website.
- Get a professional photo done of yourself. Glamour shots is good for this one, but even better is to hire a professional. Tell them you are needing a good headshot for your website. This will cost you between $50.00 and $150.00, but it is well worth the money. This photo will go a long way in promoting you as a professional writer and you can use it for many years to come. You may consider updating it every 5 to 7 years or so, just to keep up with your present hair style and appearance.
Stay tuned to this site for 5 more ways to plug your book to be posted later this week. For free information on obtaining a free website go to http://buildbuz.com